Troepen VS onder dwang naar Irak

Gestart door Offenbach, 26/08/2006 | 11:50 uur

Lex

Rumsfeld defends extended tours in Iraq

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer
26 aug 2006 2259 EDT

In a lively but polite give-and-take, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld fielded questions Saturday from wives and other family members of Alaska-based soldiers whose combat tours in Iraq were abruptly extended just as they prepared to return home this month.

"It is something we don't want to do," Rumsfeld told several hundred family members who gathered in a gymnasium at nearby Ft. Wainwright, home of the 172nd Stryker Brigade. The unit's deployment to Iraq was extended by up to four months to bolster U.S. firepower in the Baghdad area.

"But in this case we had to," he added, referring to the decision made in late July to extend the 172nd.

Asked whether the Army was preparing another brigade to take over for the 172nd in case the intended improvements in Baghdad are not achieved by mid-December, Rumsfeld said he could make no promises.

"I wish I had a magic wand and the power to say yes. I don't," he said. "I will do everything in the world I can do to see that they are not extended beyond the 120 days."

Reporters, including five who traveled with Rumsfeld from Washington, D.C., were not permitted to cover his meeting with the family members, which lasted about an hour. But a wife who made a video tape of the event showed it to reporters afterward.

One wife asked Rumsfeld why the 172nd was doing house-to-house searches in Baghdad instead of the kinds of combat operations they are trained to perform. Rumsfeld disputed her assertion, saying that 95 percent of the house-clearing operations are being done by Iraqi troops.

In an interview during his flight to Fairbanks, Rumsfeld said he saw no reason for the soldiers or their families to be angry at him.

"I don't put it in that context," he said. "These people are all volunteers. They all signed up. They all are there doing what they're doing because they want to do it. They're proud of what they do. They do it very, very well."

Asked why reporters would not be permitted to cover his meeting with the family members, Rumsfeld at first replied, "I don't have any idea. I haven't addressed the subject." Later he said he makes it a practice to make all family meetings private.

A newly formed Alaska chapter of the Military Families Speak Out group issued a statement in Fairbanks saying it would make a public call for the Bush administration to bring home the 172nd and all other U.S. troops. It quoted Jennifer Davis of Anchorage, whose husband is a member of the 172nd.

"I am totally frustrated, disappointed and heart broken," she said in the statement. "Just when I thought we were going to be able to resume a `normal' life and when I thought the nightmare was over, the nightmare was extended."

Rumsfeld said in the in-flight interview that the 172nd Brigade was an effective force during its nearly one-year deployment to the Mosul area in northern Iraq. He said the soldiers performed well in the short time since they shifted to Baghdad as part of an effort by U.S. commanders to quell sectarian killings.

"They did a terrific job in Mosul and they're already doing an excellent job in Baghdad," said Rumsfeld, indicating that commanders chose to extend the 172nd Brigade in part because of their extensive experience in Iraq.

The brigade's tour was extended by up to 120 days, bringing them close to a Christmas return date. Rumsfeld said he would make no promises that the full brigade would be back home by the holidays.

"I'd love to be Santa Claus. I'm not," he told reporters.

If it turned out that by December, U.S. commanders in Iraq felt they needed an unscheduled infusion of troops, "our first choice obviously would be to have them be someone other than the people we just extended," Rumsfeld said. "But I'm not going to get into the promises business. That isn't my style."

On Sunday, Rumsfeld and Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov planned to participate in a ceremony in Fairbanks for a memorial of the Alaska-Siberia Lend Lease program. During World War II, nearly 8,000 U.S. warplanes were flown to Fairbanks by U.S. pilots and turned over to Soviet pilots for use against the Germans.

Rumsfeld also was to tour the missile defense site at Fort Greely, near Fairbanks, where interceptor rockets in underground silos are being developed for potential use in the event of a long-range missile attack on U.S. soil. A test of portions of the system is scheduled to be held in a few days.

Offenbach

26 augustus 2006

NEW YORK - Het Amerikaanse leger zal voor het eerst sinds 2003 mariniers naar Irak sturen op een onvrijwillige basis. Volgens experts duidt dit op een onderliggend probleem: er zijn te weinig parate troepen.

Het getal van 1200 en uiteindelijk 2500 mariniers is klein, maar 'het is een volgend bewijs dat Amerika meer grondtroepen nodig heeft', schrijft Frederick Kagan van het American Enterprise Institute, een denktank in Washington. 'De weigering van de regering-Bush om het probleem onder ogen te zien, zet onze soldaten en mariniers onder grote druk, en ondermijnt de nationale veiligheid.'

Nog niet lang geleden voorspelde president Bush de terugkeer van veel troepen. Er werd een afname van het geweld verwacht en de Irakezen zouden zelf verantwoordelijk worden voor handhaving van de veiligheid. Tienduizenden soldaten konden 'redelijk snel' naar huis, luidde de inschatting van minister van Buitenlandse Zaken Rice.

Het laatste nieuws staat daar haaks op. Er zijn nog steeds 138 duizend Amerikanen in Irak. En voor het eerst kunnen lege plekken niet worden opgevuld door vrijwilligers.

Die komen uit de Individual Ready Reserve van 59 duizend mariniers die al vier jaar hebben gediend, maar nog vier jaar oproepbaar blijven. Een speciale autorisatie van Bush maakt het mogelijk om hen één tot anderhalf jaar terug te halen voor dienst bij de militaire politie, voor inlichtingenwerk en gevechtseenheden. De laatste keer dat de mariniers op deze aanpak moesten terugvallen, was bij het begin van de Irak-oorlog.

Met een nieuwe dienstplicht heeft de maatregel niets te maken, zeggen generaals en ministers. De oproep is wel een teken aan de wand. 'Al dat vrolijke gepraat over minder dan 100 duizend troepen aan het eind van dit jaar oogt voorbarig', vindt veiligheidsexpert John Pike van globalsecurity.org. Het tekort aan actieve troepen komt voort uit de Rumsfeld-doctrine, zegt Fredrick Kagan: de overtuiging dat oorlogen worden gewonnen door de luchtmacht. Maar 'Irak' bewijst volgens hem dat het zonder 'laarzen op de grond' niet lukt.

Volgens Kagan is een groter staand leger – nu bijna een half miljoen troepen – noodzakelijk. 'Het Amerikaanse leger zal veel zwakker zijn wanneer president Bush vertrekt dan toen hij aan de macht kwam – ondanks het oppakken van een gigantische nieuwe missie', de oorlog tegen terreur.

Intussen doet het leger aan zelfonderzoek, zo werd de afgelopen week bekend. De dood van honderden soldaten in Irak en Afghanistan zal opnieuw worden bekeken, nadat familieleden hebben geklaagd over onjuiste informatie. Een woordvoerder kondigde een 'rigoureuze' vergelijking aan van de eerste berichten nadat een soldaat sneuvelde met latere bevindingen.

(www.volkskrant.nl)