US Navy Helicopter Crashes in Oman

Gestart door Lex, 19/07/2012 | 17:51 uur

jurrien visser (JuVi op Twitter)

US names two killed in Oman helicopter crash

By Claire Valdini Sunday, 22 July 2012

The US Defence Department has confirmed the names of two sailors killed last week when their helicopter crashed in Oman.

The bodies of the men, 40-year old Sean P Sullivan and 31-year old Joseph P Fitzmorris, were discovered after their helicopter crashed on Thursday during a transport mission, the US Navy said.

Three of the five members on board the MH-53E Sea Dragon were safely recovered after the helicopter crashed 90km southwest of Muscat "while conducting heavy lift support operations", the Bahrain-based US Fifth Fleet said.

The crash was not a result of hostile activity, said the Navy.

The Fifth Fleet, which monitors the waters of the Gulf and keeps an eye on Iran, has stepped up its mine-sweeping operations in recent weeks following Iran's threats the close the Strait of Hormuz after Western powers placed sanctions on its crude exports.

The sanctions were imposed over Iran's nuclear programme, which the West suspects is aimed at creating nuclear weapons, but Tehran says is peaceful.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/us-names-two-killed-in-oman-helicopter-crash-466841.html

jurrien visser (JuVi op Twitter)

Navy Helicopter Crashes In Oman

Posted: Jul 19, 2012 1:07 PM

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - The U.S. Navy says one of its helicopters has crashed in the Gulf nation of Oman with five crew members aboard.

Lt. Greg Raelson, a spokesman for the Navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, gave no immediate word on the fate of the crew Thursday. But an Omani air force official says three of them have been found so far and are being treated in a hospital. The official was not authorized to release the information and spoke on condition of anonymity

No hostile activity is suspected.

Raelson says an investigation is under way into crash of the MH-35E Sea Dragon. He says the helicopter was assigned to a mine countermeasure squadron and was involved in heavy lift operations when it crashed 58 miles (93 kilometers) southwest of the capital Muscat.

http://www.kristv.com/news/navy-helicopter-crashes-in-oman/

Lex

A US Navy helicopter crashed in Oman on Thursday. The condition of its five crewmembers was not immediately known.

The Sikorsky MH-53E Sea Dragon was assigned to the Navy's Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 (HM-15) based at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.

A Navy statement said the helicopter was conducting heavy lift support operations about 58 miles southwest of Muscat at the time of the accident.

Hostile activity was ruled out as a cause, the Navy said.

Another MH-53 helicopter from the same squadron was assigned to the rescue effort and an investigation was launched.

Designed for both mine sweeping and heavy lift duties, the MH-53E is a modified version of the CH-53E Super Stallion, the US military's largest helicopter.

Aviation news,
July 19th 2012